Sunday, August 10, 2008

Garden woes




I found out that something has been chomping away at my garden lately! I have Anaheim pepper plants, cherry tomatoes, crook neck squash, watermelon, and Cuban Mojito Mint. I was enjoying the fruitful returns of the garden all summer and watched the ecosystem taking place in front of my eyes. I have seen grasshoppers, preying mantis, ladybugs (mostly purchased from a local nursery), busy bees, ants, worms, and the latest guest of the garden, but unwanted, the Tomato Hornworm. I had found this guy too late after he had chomped away most of the pepper plants. I think they will survive though because there where some blooms on them. I think the secret to growing a garden in this inferno of a desert I live in, is to have a significant shade construction to provide partial sunlight and not the blinding oven heat sunlight that you would have without it.

So Dawn and I found this Hornworm Friday and donated him literally to science. (he went to the Chaparral High School Science Department).


And now on to rebuilding the garden for the Fall! I need to find the listing of Fall plants that I can use for the season.

Keep you posted!


G Gardener

No comments: